- 61% of dairy managed farmland has been entered into Environmental Stewardship Schemes (target 50%)
- 58% of respondent farms have made changes changes to make better use of water in the last 12 months (target 5-15% uptake of water use efficiency measures)
- 65% dairy farmer’s actively nutrient planning (target 65%)
- 99.6% of dairy farmers have a manure management plan (target 95%
- 94.9% of dairy farmers have Farm Health Plans (target 95%)
- 9 anaerobic digestors in operation (target 30 dairy farms piloting on-farm anaerobic digestion)
- 39.4% of dairy farmer’s trialling new technologies to reduce emissions from agriculture (target 20-30%)
- 100% of dairy farmers, through DairyCo, supporting research into new technologies (achieved through increased investment by DairyCo in this area)
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
UK Dairy Roadmap
Dairy farmers world wide are working toward GHG reductions and improved environmental management.
In the UK dairy processors, farmers and retailers have developed a ‘roadmap’ of environmental improvements with the government.
At the document’s heart is a series of ambitious targets to reduce water and energy use, cut greenhouse gas emissions and slash waste to landfill. It was published in May 2008 and leads up to a vision of the dairy industry in 2020.
Here are some of the achievements;